Thursday, July 12, 2007

Tagged by Terrierman!

I had thought (hoped, actually) that as a relative newcomer to our little community of bloggers, I might escape notice. But no. Patrick, every bit as alert has his terriers, refused to let the new kid off the hook.

I'll do my best. No doubt my friends and loved ones could come up with a much longer list of quirks and foibles.

1. Just before dark, when it's not too hot, I like to sit in the backyard, sip red wine, and admire my tomato plants. Jane finds the practice odd and amusing, but not surprising.

2. In an earlier career, I designed circuitry for military weapon systems. For the most part, I enjoyed the work immensely, especially the part that involved running around in the desert testing prototype equipment. Although I find my current career as a writer more satisfying overall, I miss the math.

3. I get a bit annoyed when people ask, "How did an engineer become a writer?" Clearly, they know nothing about engineering or writing, though they probably think they do.

4. I like to think of myself as thrifty and sensible. My two daughters think I'm cheap.

5. I'm a morning person. I like to get up very early and drink a pot of coffee while sitting in the dark in my easy chair. I tell Jane that I'm working, and I am. She doesn't buy it.

6. Although it's a terrible dog training practice and more than a little ridiculous, I've always given my dogs nicknames. So far it hasn't caused even the slightest confusion. My agreeable dogs have responded well to both names and nicknames. My hard-headed dogs ignored both.

7. I have a good sense of direction in the field, but in restaurants, I often have trouble finding my table after a trip to the salad bar or men's room.

8. I am certain that car commercials are not aimed at me.

6 comments:

Rebecca K. O'Connor said...

I am SO glad that I'm not the only one who gets lost making side trips in restaurants. There have been times when I chose to "hold it" rather than chance an ungraceful navigation back to a date. And to think all these years I thought it was just me...

Henry Chappell said...

I'm so relieved! Now I won't feel so bad next it takes me an extra 10 minutes to get back to my seat.

If you ever see a confused-looking guy carring an overflowing salad bowl around a restaurant, be sure to wave. It's probably me.

Matt Mullenix said...

Henry,

Two things we share: the mornings with coffee in the dark and the evenings admiring the tomato plants. Except I am sipping microbrew or imported beer instead of wine.

I don't get lost in resturants but I am a threat to lose my car in the resturant parking lot!

Chas S. Clifton said...

I notice that two of your eight quirks involve sitting and drinking. Do we have a pattern here?

PBurns said...

My kids think I am cheap too, but we are simply frugal with money that was hard won. When the kids actually make some cash themselves, I bet they are tight with it too. It doesn't grow on the credit card tree!

P

Henry Chappell said...

Matt, my day gets off to a bad start if I don't have my coffee, darkness and peace and quiet. And what is it about contemplating your own homegrown food that brings such satisfaction?

Yes, Chas, we certainly do have a pattern here. I do love coffee, red wine (in moderation, of course) and sitting (again, in moderation). I suspect I'm not alone.

Patrick, as my lawyer says, "My heirs will soon be off the payroll." We'll see if they think I'm cheap then.